‘Being a club’ rule number 4 (probably): you ain’t officially a sports club until you have your first quiz night.
So we’ve had one!
Over 30 of us headed to The Dynamo in Balham for our inaugural quiz which included a round of questions on Balham. Think you know your neighbourhood? Think you would have done well? Well test yourself below. No googling!
- According to the 2011 census, what was the population of Balham at that time? Within 2,000 gets you a point!
- In what year did Balham Tube station open?
- The writer of Only Fools and Horses was born in Balham and based it on Hildreth Street Market. What’s his name?
- Who in 1958 featured in a comedy sketch about ‘Balham Gateway to the South’
- A singer who’s first three albums were numbers went to Chesnut Grove School. Who is she?
- What was the name of the Channel 5 fly on the wall TV series that was initially set in Balham Park Surgery?
- What is the number of the Cycle Superhighway that passes through Balham High Road
- What is the name of the gin that is distilled on Weir Road in Balham that shares it’s name with the surname of the winner of the 2016 Paris-Roubaix (bonus point for the cyclist!)
- To within 100, how many apartments are there in Du Cane Court?
- Name the Ian McEwan novel which mentions the 1940 Balham Tube Station Disaster
See below for answers
- John Sullivan
- Peter Sellers
- Behind Closed Doors
- Hayman’s (Mat Hayman)