The Balham CC Members Cup was awarded to the 50 mile club course champion. It was presented every year from 1937 to 1980 excluding 1939-1946 due to World War II.
The trophy was made in 1937, London of .925 sterling silver as identified by the Lion Passant, Lion’s Face and letter B engraving. William Comyns & Sons Ltd made the trophy, as shown by the R and C over a dot in a shield (the R stands for his son Richard). William Comyns was established in 1859 but the name changed in 1885 with sons Charles and Richard on board. The firm was purchased in 1953 by Bernard Copping on the death of Richard Comyns and eventually liquidated in 1987.
DE Hebblethwaite won the inaugural event in 2 hrs 13 mins 24 secs (roughly 22.5 miles/hr or 36 kilometres/hour). The road secretary in the July 1937 issue of the Balham Gazette – the second ever issue – gives us a little more detail. Ridden in near perfect conditions, the star at the time Arthur Attwood could only manage third having been off the bike for a while due to work commitments. 10 entered, 5 finished and there was some grumbling over the lack of volunteer marshalls! According to the captains writing in the same issue of the magazine, the ride was organised around the Crawley area and was combined with a club run to the event itself. Attwood won the cup a year later – in a clean sweep of all the Balham trophies – before the war put pay to any racing for a while.
Balham Gazette Issue 2 July 1937
Various online resources on William Comyns & Sons Ltd and silvermarks